Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In The Placid Summer Midnight

I love this poem, I am hesitant to share the poetry I love sometimes just because I feel like people do not appreciate it like I do, and I don't want anyone or anything to take away from it. How very dramatic of me but it's true. I feel like poems have the power to move the spirit if a person is open, but I am a writer so of course I think that. I do however know that Lauren will enjoy it so I will post it for her. :)

In the placid summer midnight,




Under the drowsy sky,



I seem to hear in the stillness



The moths go glimmering by.









One by one from the windows



The lights have all been sped.



Never a blind looks conscious -



The street is asleep in bed!









But I come where a living casement



Laughs luminous and wide;



I hear the song of a piano



Break in a sparkling tide;









And I feel, in the waltz that frolics



And warbles swift and clear,



A sudden sense of shelter



And friendliness and cheer . . .









A sense of tinkling glasses,



Of love and laughter and light -



The piano stops, and the window



Stares blank out into the night.









The blind goes out, and I wander



To the old, unfriendly sea,



The lonelier for the memory



That walks like a ghost with me.
 
By William Ernest Henley

No comments:

Post a Comment